A0322 46-54 Fishergate (Redfearn National Glass)

Item

Title
A0322 46-54 Fishergate (Redfearn National Glass)
Alternative Title
1984.9 46-54 Fishergate
1985.9 46-54 Fishergate
1986.9 46-54 Fishergate
1984.9 Redfearn National Glass
1985.9 Redfearn National Glass
1986.9 Redfearn National Glass
Description
Traces of agricultural activity and some minor ditches represented the Roman activity on the site.

The earliest extensively excavated deposits related to settlement which dated to between the late 7th century or early 8th century and the mid/late 9th century. Two distinct archaeological periods were identified, separated by a distinctive deposit of charcoal which was interpreted as levelling and represented the abandonment of the site. The first period of settlement consisted of a series of large well spaced properties limited to the east by a boundary ditch. An east-west line of pits delineated the southern edge of this settlement which contained post-built structures and their associated pits and latrines.

This first settlement had the appearance of planned development. Its location at the junction of two rivers, and evidence from the finds which suggested craft activities and trading, give rise to the interpretation of the settlement as part of the trading wic, from which Eofowic derives its name.

At some point all of these structures were demolished and sealed by a levelling deposit composed of domestic waste and fire sweepings. The levelling deposit was cut by a boundary ditch associated with a number of pits. This new settlement dated to the first half of the 9th century and was less intensive and less extensive than that dating to the 8th century. Occupation appeared to have continued into the late 9th century when the site was abandoned until c. AD 1000.

A late 10th - 11th century structure was encountered in the south-eastern part of the site. A possible early church and associated burials were found. The cemetery continued in use through the 12th century. A stone built monastic complex, St Andrew's Gilbertine Priory, was constructed in the late 12th century, and dedicated in 1202. The priory was modified a number of times; the final adjustments to partitions took place in the 16th century. The church was demolished c. 1538.

The site was used as an orchard in the 17th and 18th centuries before an early glass factory was built in 1870-1900, and replaced by modern factory buildings in 1900- 1984.
Type
Excavation
Date
February 1985 – August 1986
Creator
York Archaeological Trust
Contributor
R Kemp (excavator)
Jane McComish (Lilley) (excavator)
Mark Whyman (excavator)
Spatial Coverage
46-54 Fishergate, York
SE60655115
Monument Type
Monument Type - Agriculture and Subsistence
Monument Type - Ditch
Monument Type - Boundary Ditch
Monument Type - Pit
Monument Type - Building
Monument Type - Latrine
Monument Type - Levelling
Monument Type - Cemetery
Monument Type - Church
Monument Type - Gilbertine Priory
Monument Type - Well
Monument Type - Cess Pit
Monument Type - Demolition Dump
Monument Type - Lime Kiln
Monument Type - Orchard
Monument Type - Glass Works
Period
Roman
Anglian
Medieval
Post-Medieval
Modern

Linked resources

Position: 23 (137 views)