A0013 21-33 Aldwark (St Helen's) (Ebor Brewery)

Item

Title
A0013 21-33 Aldwark (St Helen's) (Ebor Brewery)
Alternative Title
1973.5 21-33 Aldwark (St Helen's) (Ebor Brewery)
1974.5 21-33 Aldwark (St Helen's) (Ebor Brewery)
1975.5 21-33 Aldwark (St Helen's) (Ebor Brewery)
1976.5 21-33 Aldwark (St Helen's) (Ebor Brewery)
Description
Roman occupation was found to date from the 2nd century onwards on this site. The earliest feature was a road aligned north-west/south-east with flanking ditches. Its make-up was probably derived from the Borthwick kilns 100m away. A new cobble road with roadside ditch was constructed in the late 2nd or 3rd century. A timber-framed town house with walls of painted plaster and a polychrome mosaic floor was erected at a road junction. Associated hearths and an oven were found. These date to the 4th century.

Several later pits were found to have cut through the mosaic floor.

The foundations of the parish church of St Helen-on-the-Walls were constructed on top of the Roman building. The earliest church, a small rectangular single-cell building was stone built with a mortar floor and overlay the mosaic floor of the 4th century Roman town house. This probably late 10th century church was later extended by the addition of a square chancel. A succession of earth and mortar floors accumulated within it during the 12th century. Further alterations were carried out.

In the late 14th or early 15th century the church was almost entirely rebuilt as a rectangular structure, slightly wider, but the same length as its predecessor. Further additions were made during the 16th century. The church went out of use c.1550 and was demolished shortly afterwards.

Burials inside the church and in the churchyard associated with the five phases of church development were excavated. Approximately two-thirds of the original churchyard was excavated and over 1000 individuals were recovered.
Type
Excavation
Date
1973 – 1976
Creator
York Archaeological Trust
Contributor
J Magilton (excavator)
J Dawes (excavator)
Richard Hall (excavator)
Martin Stockwell (excavator)
Spatial Coverage
21-33 Aldwark, York
SE60625204
Period
Roman
Medieval
Post-Medieval

Linked resources

Items with "References: A0013 21-33 Aldwark (St Helen's) (Ebor Brewery)"
Title Class
Coney Street, Aldwark and Clementhorpe, Minor Sites and Roman Roads Text
Medieval and Later Pottery from Aldwark and Other Sites Text
Medieval Tenements in Aldwark, and Other Sites Text
Post-Roman Coins from York Excavations 1971-81 Text
Roman Pottery from York Text
Items with "References: A0013 21-33 Aldwark (St Helen's) (Ebor Brewery)"
Title Class
Slide 016150 Physical Object
Slide 016151 Physical Object
Slide 016152 Physical Object
Slide 016153 Physical Object
Slide 016154 Physical Object
Slide 016155 Physical Object
Slide 016156 Physical Object
Slide 016157 Physical Object
Slide 016158 Physical Object
Slide 016159 Physical Object
Slide 016160 Physical Object
Slide 016161 Physical Object
Slide 016162 Physical Object
Slide 016163 Physical Object
Slide 016164 Physical Object
Slide 016165 Physical Object
Slide 016166 Physical Object
Slide 016167 Physical Object
Slide 016168 Physical Object
Slide 016169 Physical Object

Position: 45 (69 views)